Progress doesn't just happen. It takes hard work, dedication, organization, and planning. As the recent elections and aftermath have shown, hard-won gains can be lost in a day. Despite dark times, this isn't the time to retreat. Thanks to you, Progressive Democrats of America (PDA) achieved a lot of progress in 2016, and we're already off to a great start in 2017. With your help, we will make even more progress as we build toward 2018 and the most momentous midterm elections in our lifetimes.
What Have We Done Lately? Here are some highlights:
In 2016, PDA:
1. Continued our organizing to elect Bernie Sanders that we first launched in 2015 as "Run Bernie Run." If not for our efforts, that historic campaign might not have happened!
2. Co-convened the historic People's Summit in Chicago
3. Helped elect 236 Bernie delegates to the Democratic National Convention in Philly
4. PDA's 236 delegates helped lead efforts drafting progressive platform planks
5. Organized Progressive Central "The People's Convention" with allies including Keystone Progress, DSA, The Nation, and many others
6. Ran phone banks, mobilized voters, canvassed, and provided other support for the victorious Barragan, Gabbard, Nolan, Jayapal, and Raskin congressional campaigns
7. Fell just short of victory with Applegate, and made important inroads upholding progressive principles with Balchunis, Canova, Grayson, and other campaigns
8. Helped all of our advisory board members Reps. Ellison, Grijalva, Lee, Conyers, and McGovern win re-election; along with our progressive heroes including Reps. Pocan, Coleman, and Schakowsky.
9. Launched Young Progressives Demanding Action (YPDA)
10. Increased our chapter growth and new chapter building by 25% (since 11-8-16)
11. Supported a national book tour by our advisory board member Medea Benjamin
12. Marked the 10th anniversary of our Healthcare Not Warfare (HNW) campaign with nationwide vigils relaunching the campaign, and supported a congressional press conference
So far in 2017 PDA:
1. Followed up our HNW relaunch organizing national "Hands Off Healthcare" actions with NNU and other allies
2. Sent organizers to the national single payer / Medicare for All conference
3. Organized a massive conference call with Michael Moore
4. Provided support and outreach at the Women's Marches in D.C. and nationwide
We're not slowing down. We've also been:
5. Leading opposition and protests to resist Trump, his nominees, etc.
6. Seating PDA folks in local, county, and state Democratic Party offices
7. Supporting national efforts on climate, healthcare, and other key priorities
8. Helping to lead coalition efforts to elect Keith Ellison to DNC chair--we worked with Our Revolution and other allies generating a huge turnout of enthusiastic supporters in Phoenix, Houston (with advisory board member Jim Hightower), Detroit, and Baltimore
9. Continuing our organizing work on issues, chapter building, YPDA, and other efforts--all while once again preparing for our Winslow Leadership Retreat.
We probably shouldn't call it a retreat because we are not backing down. Not as long as you have our back!
If you're a Change Makes Change sustainer, we thank you! If you can possibly afford it, please consider increasing your automatic monthly donation. If you're already a donor, please consider becoming a sustainer by signing up to make automatic donations that will help us budget and plan to make progress like the examples above.
Progress only happens when people like you make it happen. Please help in any way you can! If you haven't yet donated, we need you now more than ever! Please donate generously now to support progress on the issues you care about.
If money is just too tight, we understand. Our own budget isn't what we need it to be. We need you to show your commitment any way you can. Please contact PDA Field Coordinator Judy Hess to help organize a new PDA chapter or energize an existing chapter near you!
Mike Hersh for Donna, Judy, Mike F, Kim, Janis, Deb, Dan, Teva, and Amos
Your Progressive Democrats of America National Team
P.S. As mentioned above, Academy Award winning filmmaker Michael Moore joined Progressive Democrats of America (PDA)'s Executive Director Donna Smith, her fellow subjects of the documentary movie SiCKO, and PDA activists on February 9, 2017 for our biggest call ever! If you missed the call or want to hear it again, please click here, and then please donate $500, $50, or whatever you can afford now to help PDA organize for Expanded and Improved Medicare for All. Money tight? Then join our PDA Healthcare is a Human Right issue team. Click on the link, then scroll down and check the box next to "Healthcare Human Rights."
Follow PDA and share our articles on social media.
Contact Online Media Director Janis Kay to help out.
Click on the logos below: